A cryptocurrency is a digitized fund outlined to work as a mode of exchange wherein solitary coin ownership records are reserved in account books or record books existing in a form of digitally programmed databases using strong cryptography to retain the transaction records and assure safety, to control the creation of extra-added coins and to verify the transfer of coin ownership.
Cryptocurrencies are not issued by central banking systems (or central authorities). It typically uses decentralized control in opposition to centralized digital currency. When a cryptocurrency is issued by an individual, it is considered centralized in general terms. When executed with decentralized control, each cryptocurrency routinely follows a blockchain pattern, serving as a public financial transaction database.
In other words, they work on distributed public ledgers called “blockchain” that keep records of all the transactions made by the currency holders. It enables the users to make secure payments and save money without revealing their real identities or having to go through a bank. Cryptocurrency does not exist in the usual physical form- “paper money.”
There have been many attempts at creating a digital currency since the 90s tech boom but none of the attempts were successful. There were multiple reasons for failure such as fraud, financial problems, and so on. However, Bitcoin was the first decentralized cryptocurrency released as open-source software in 2009. Since then 6000 altcoins (alternative to bitcoins) and other cryptocurrencies have been introduced. Talking about investments, there are a lot of cryptocurrencies available- Bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), Ethereum (ETH), and so on.
What are cryptocurrency hardware wallets?
Cryptocurrency hardware wallets are a special type of Bitcoin hardware wallets which are digitally processed programs or typically a device that is used to receive or share your crypto. It acts as a flash drive, stores your public address, and private key ensuring safety by all means.
They have major advantages as compared to standard software wallets – here, the private key is stored in a protected area and cannot be transferred out of the device even if the device is vulnerable to computer viruses. It can be used securely and interactively and because it is open-source software, it allows the holder to bear witness to the entire processing of the device.
Hardware wallets depend on the security of RNG (Random Number Generator) which is inserted in the hardware to ensure maximum security of the private keys. Oftentimes, it becomes difficult to locate the true randomness of the RNG which might be re-created by an attacker.
An RNG may become insecure as a result of spiteful weakening or inadvertent mistake. Also, the quality of implementation (say, the security of all computing devices) needs to be perfect. These are some crucial things that are needed to be taken care of.
Types of cryptocurrency hardware wallets
There are two kinds of crypto wallets:-
- Hot wallets: These are cryptocurrency hardware wallets that are connected to the internet actively. While they are easy to transact, they are somewhat vulnerable to hacks attempts.
- Cold wallets: These are cryptocurrency hardware wallets that are not connected to the internet and are therefore safe from hacks.
Best cryptocurrency hardware wallets
When it comes to storing cryptocurrencies, hardware wallets are worldwide considered to be the gold standard. Securing your digital assets have never been an easy and straightforward task, be it cryptocurrencies, passwords, or your private keys. Hardware wallets are best possible for anyone looking forward to storing their crypto portfolios for the long term with minimal need to gain access to them on a regular basis.
Here are some of the best cryptocurrency hardware wallets for you:-
- Trezor Model T: It’s a cryptocurrency hardware wallet outlined to be the common vault for all your digital assets. With Trezor Model T, you own your data i.e., you have digital independence and it stores your keys and keeps it secured. The device being completely isolated, your keys never leave the device and therefore it allows you to use them safely. It easily backs up your entire wallet, stores your password cautiously. It does not hide anything from their users and hence provides transparent security. Plus, it has 5-star customer support.
- Ledger Nano X: As you already know, when you own crypto, what you actually own is a private key and you need to secure it at your best as it secures all your funds or digitized assets. This device provides maximum security and is really easy to use. It also provides great interface and compatibility.
- Ledger Nano S: It’s a brushed stainless steel and plastic device and it requires no battery. Ledger Nano S provides safety, of course, and helps you grow your assets. You can even receive crypto rewards while storing your coins. However, it is not suitable for mining.
- Trezor Bitcoin: Audited by security researchers, substantiated by track record, Trezor Bitcoin provides crystal clear security. As mentioned before, Trezor provides experts who are always ready to serve 24*. Designed for the users’ confidence and effortlessness, it has an intuitive and suitable interface. It also provides offline backup for its users. Hence, it’s one of the best bitcoin hardware wallets.
- Coolwallet S: Coolwallet S enables a complete security system causing no hindrance whatsoever. It is sophisticated, high-tech, and provides convenience to new levels. It comes in a sleek package that makes it easy to manage.
- Trezor One Black: Trezor One Black does not require daily backup and has zero risks of viruses and keyloggers. It supports more than 1000 coins and has high compatibility with Windows, Linux, and macOS (10.8 or higher).
- Coolwallet S Duo: Coolwallet Duo S is another cryptocurrency hardware wallet from Coolwallet. However, it is a revolutionary cold storage hardware wallet for your Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin, Litecoin, etc. It stores and sends your coins quickly to any location and it’s highly convenient and easy to use. The best part about it is that it’s completely wireless. You just have to connect it via Bluetooth. Plus, you don’t need any cables or computers for access to your coins.
- NGRAVE Zero: Although yet to start shipping at the time of writing this article, the NGRAVE Zero wallet holds the highest security certification for a hardware wallet (EAL 7+).
The wallet will support Bitcoin and several altcoins, including the gold-backed stablecoin, Veraone (VRO). It is set to offer unmatched security, second-factor authentication, and easy access to your assets.
Another key feature is a recoverable private key tool and a device that has an intuitive interface for improved user experience and protection.
Cryptocurrencies need to be secured. Hence, you need to invest in the best Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet. If you use any cryptocurrency, you can consider any of the mentioned hardware wallets which suit your needs.
Author Bio: Hitesh is a digital marketing strategist and entrepreneur with more than 15 years of experience in digital marketing, start-ups, branding, and customer acquisition strategies. Hitesh is the CEO and Founder of Reposition Group, which specializes in digital growth strategies for companies in the cryptocurrency market such as Bitamp.com.
Affiliate: Get a Ledger Nano X for $119 So That Hackers Won't Steal Your Crypto!